Cantell & Co are are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected, and our use of your personal information is governed by this Privacy Notice. This Privacy notice is to inform you of how we gather, use and share your personal information. We collect and use such data in accordance with domestic and European data protection laws and regulations.
This Data Protection Policy applies to the personal data we process and relates to past or present employees, workers, customers, clients or supplier contracts, website users or any other data subject.
Our Data Protection Manager can be contacted at DPM@cantellandco.com
Cantell & Co is a controller for the personal information that it collects and uses about you. We will treat your personal information as confidential and in accordance with applicable data protection legislation and your personal information will only be shared with others in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
You can find out more here about how and why we gather, use and share your information. What personal information we use, and share will depend on the services we provide you.
Cantell & Co is what is known as the ‘data-controller’ of information that is gathered and used.
We are also a ‘data processor’ meaning that we process the personal information we collect and hold. When we refer to ‘we’ or ‘us’ in this policy, we mean Cantell & Co.
What is Personal Information
Personal information is any information that tells us something about you. This could include:
• Email address
• Postal address
• Telephone number
• Date of birth
• Bank account details
• Copies of passport or driving licence
• Utility Bills
We may collect information about you from a variety of sources including directly when you register to buy or let through us, when you contact us through the internet property websites or from other organisations; for instance a credit referencing company.
Use of your personal information
We use your information to provide you with the services we offer and we sometimes need to use and share personal information for specific purposes such as:
• Credit referencing
• Anti-Money Laundering Legislation
• Property Management Activities
• To comply with our legal obligations
• Financial management and debt recovery purposes
• To administer payments to and from you
• To administer our services to you
• To enable payments to third parties
Our legal basis for our data processing
Under data protection legislation we are only permitted to use your personal information if we have a legal basis for doing so. We rely on the following legal bases to use your information:
• We need information to perform the contract we have entered into with you
• We need to comply with a legal obligation
• For employment-related purposes
• Where the processing is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in Cantell & Co’s legitimate interests (or those of a third party) to do so and provided that your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests, including processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently.
In more limited circumstances we may also rely on the following legal bases:
• Protecting your interests (or someone else’s interests); and/or
• When it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes
Sharing your personal information
We share your personal information with those that work at Cantell & Co and Cantell Property Management Services where:
• We need to make or market services available to you.
• To meet or enforce a legal obligation or where it is fair and reasonable for us to do so.
• We only share your personal information to the extent needed for those purposes.
• We may pass personal information to contractors who are carrying out maintenance.
• Who we share your personal information with is dependent on the services we provide to you and the purposes we use your personal information for, such as credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies.
Keeping your information secure
Cantell & Co regard the security of information as very important and we have measures in place which are designed to prevent unauthorised access to your personal information including but not exhaustive:
Client files are stored on our secure client management systems with restricted access to those within the business who are required to have access to your information for legitimate business purposes.
Documentation is stored in locked cabinets.
We ensure access to personal information is restricted to Cantell & Co and Cantell Property Management Services employees and workers within Cantell & Co on a need to know basis.
For how long we keep your personal information
The period for which we keep your personal information for is dependent on the services we deliver to you. We do not retain your personal information for any longer than is necessary or for the purposes other than we need to use it for. The retention period may be longer than the period for which we are providing services to you where we have statutory or regulatory obligations to retain personal information for a longer period, or where we may need to retain the information in case of a legal claim.
We will communicate with you about our services using any contact details you have given us – for example by post, email, text message, social media, and notifications on our app or website.
Whilst you have given us consent to receive marketing and information about our services, you can withdraw consent and update your marketing and contact preferences by visiting our office, calling us or emailing DPM@cantellandco.com
Making a complaint about the way in which your personal information is stored or used:
If you have a complaint about the way in which your personal information is stored or used by this company, or you wish to see what personal information we hold about you, please write to:
The Data Protection Manager at DPM@cantellandco.com
If we cannot resolve the issue you can also make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office, at https://ico.org.uk/